Frequent texters can try these stretches to avoid pain from repetitive motion:
- Hand stretch. Start with your hands in a fist and stretch your fingers out as wide as they’ll go and then return to a fist. Shoot for about 10 stretches with each hand. For added resistance you can stretch a rubber band around your fingers.
- Squeeze a stress ball. Do this for approximately 30 seconds for each hand.
- Wrist circles. Clench your hands into a fist and roll your wrist in 10 circles in each direction.
- Forearm stretch. Place your hands in a praying position and squeeze them together for 10 seconds. Keeping your hands in the same position, point your fingers toward the ground and squeeze your hands together for another 10 seconds.
- Chest stretch. To counteract the hunched posture of texting, stand up straight with your arms down at your sides. Turn your forearms until your thumbs are pointing to the wall behind you.
Find these, and more, tips for living at downtownschiropractic.com.